Powered By Blogger

Monday, November 19, 2012

19 NOV 12

The holidays approach ...
and while I hate to sound anti-business ...
commerce is perverting the hell out of the season.
Just heard a lovely "religious" carol converted to
a sale's jingle on TV. While I'm not religious, I
find this type of sale's activity disheartening ...
and actually un-American.
While I'm not a lone voice "crying in the wilderness"
about this issue, most folks are just looking for low
prices and good deals and won't care or pay attention
to my opinion.

              ________________

I owe a lot to many people in my life.
To my ex-wife, Elizabeth, I owe the
introduction to all things classical music.
She was a friend to Friedlind Wagner,
granddaughter of Richard Wagner.
Through Elizabeth, I learned to appreciate
the beauty of operatic works. I met Friedlind
and was privileged to be a guest of the Wagner
family for a performance of "Tristan und Isolde"
at the Festspielhaus Bayreuth.
The pinnacle of the Wagnerian soprano art was seen
in the performances of Sweden's Birgit Nilsson.
(In my own humble opinion.)
Here, she sings the "Liebestod" aria from
"Tristan und Isolde."

Nobody did it better.



Isolde's Liebestod (the text)

Mild und leise
wie er lächelt,
wie das Auge
hold er öffnet ---
seht ihr's Freunde?
Seht ihr's nicht?
Immer lichter
wie er leuchtet,
stern-umstrahlet
hoch sich hebt?
Seht ihr's nicht?
Wie das Herz ihm
mutig schwillt,
voll und hehr
im Busen ihm quillt?
Wie den Lippen,
wonnig mild,
süßer Atem
sanft entweht ---
Freunde! Seht!
Fühlt und seht ihr's nicht?
Hör ich nur
diese Weise,
die so wunder-
voll und leise,
Wonne klagend,
alles sagend,
mild versöhnend
aus ihm tönend,
in mich dringet,
auf sich schwinget,
hold erhallend
um mich klinget?
Heller schallend,
mich umwallend,
sind es Wellen
sanfter Lüfte?
Sind es Wogen
wonniger Düfte?
Wie sie schwellen,
mich umrauschen,
soll ich atmen,
soll ich lauschen?
Soll ich schlürfen,
untertauchen?
Süß in Düften
mich verhauchen?
In dem wogenden Schwall,
in dem tönenden Schall,
in des Welt-Atems
wehendem All ---
ertrinken,
versinken ---
unbewußt ---
höchste Lust!

-Fini

No comments:

Post a Comment