Powered By Blogger

Friday, July 22, 2011

22 JUL 11

Irritants...

You'd think that when engineers design an appliance they'd
test the design thoroughly before putting it on the market.
We bought a Kenmore Refrigerator/Freezer two years ago.
It was to replace a Maytag that had been burned out by a voltage surge.
It cost us over $1200.
The freezer is on the bottom, in a pull-out drawer configuration.
When the power goes out (and that happens 2 - 3 times per year)
the freezer begins to thaw. Moisture condenses onto, and into, the
drawer's slide mounts. When power returns and the freezer functions
again, this moisture becomes ice and jams each slide closed.
It takes four or five attempts to thaw and dry these slides before
the freezer can be used again.
As I said... an irritant... should have been taken into account during
the design phase.
(I think of Kenmore as a quality product, so I am surprised to
find this fault occurring.)
 _____________________________________________________

Hot today.
Just checked the thermometer on my back deck... 102 in the shade!
Glad I invested in central air... now, instead of being
confined to one room, I have the run of the whole house.
BUT... I'm still house-bound. With my bad heart,
I dare not go out in this weather.
The last time I had to contend with temps this high was when
I was with the National Guard during AT 91, at Fort A.P. Hill, VA.
I was twenty years younger... with my heart still healthy. 
The mid-day heat down there rose to 105 degrees.
Learned, again, the true value of a good supply sergeant.
Ours drove off post to a commercial ice house
and had the water trailer filled with ice blocks before adding the water.
Ice cold water... delicious.
Soaking bandanas in the cold water and tying them around our necks
helped avert many cases of heat-stroke, I'm sure.

Me, AT 91, Ft. A.P. Hill, VA - Wearing my cooling camo-bandana.




-Fini

No comments:

Post a Comment