Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, January 4, 2012

04 JAN 12

On being... and having enough

I play drums... or, rather, I now play "drum."
With my band, Artsongjazz, I use a single snare, played with brushes,
plus a hi-hat cymbal (or, as it used to be called, a sock-cymbal).
For the most part, we play tunes from the '30s and '40s.
I know all these tunes by heart... was a huge fan of big-band music in
my youth... plus, we mix a few contemporary songs into our repertoire.

                     This is a Photoshopped picture of the band at Museum Village, Monroe, NY - 2011


Playing this style of music, in this manner, does not require
a great deal of stamina or practice on my part.
This works very well for me... but there are times when I want more.
I'll watch something like this video and think, "Why not me?"

"Actual Proof" covered by Tribal Tech

Kirk Covington is a very good drummer... with hard work
I could be every bit as good... I tell myself... constantly.

Then the Reality Fairy hits me with her wand...
I'm not young anymore.
I have congestive heart failure.
I have ankles that swell, feet that hurt to walk on.
I have a pacemaker installed.
I have a surgically redesigned digestive system.
I'm diabetic.
I take 10 pills a day.

I'm a wreck...
yet I play the drum with Artsongjazz.

That's enough...
as it should be.

I am thankful.

                                                ( Che sera sera. )

PS:
Here's an audio clip from our performance at the Museum Village, Jan 2012:
 http://soundcloud.com/snuffyny/masquerade-clip

-Fini

1 comment:

  1. I was never a big fan of Jazz music, I'm more of a rock and roll kind of guy. However, I wanted to post on your blog so that you will know that I took the time to read and reply to what you wrote. I like to support my fellow human beings whenever I can.

    ReplyDelete